Flavia Cosma is an award winning Romanian-born Canadian poet, author and translator. She has a Masters degree in Electrical Engineering
from the Polytechnic Institute of Bucharest. Later she studied Drama at the Community School of Arts—Bucharest, Romania. She is also an award
winning independent television documentary producer, director, and writer, and has published thirty one books of poetry, a novel, a travel
memoir and five books for children. Her work has been represented in numerous anthologies in various countries and languages, and her book,
47 Poems, (Texas Tech University Press) received the ALTA Richard Wilbur Poetry in Translation Prize.
Cosma was nominated three times for The Pushcart Prize with poems from Leaves of a Diary (2006), The Season of Love (2008)
and Thus Spoke the Sea (2008).
Flavia Cosma was awarded Third Prize in the John Dryden Translation Competition- 2007, for translating In The Arms of The Father, poems
by Flavia Cosma, (British Comparative Literature Association & British Literary Translation Centre)
Cosma’s Songs at the Aegean Sea made the Short List in the Canadian Aid Literary Awards Contest, Dec. 2007.
Cosma’s poetry book Leaves of a Diary was studied at the University of Toronto E. J. Pratt Canadian Literature during the school year
2007-2008 (Professor George Elliott Clarke). Her poetry book, Thus Spoke the Sea, was taught during the Spring, 2014 semester by professor
Alan Britt at Towson University, Baltimore, Maryland, USA. Her poetry book The Latin Quarter, was studied at Towson University, Baltimore,
Maryland, USA during the school year 2016-2017— English 261 (Elements of Poetry) class, Professor Alan Britt).
Flavia Cosma received the Title of Excellence for outstanding contribution in the promotion and enrichment of the Romania culture within
the European region and throughout the world, awarded by The International Festival “Lucian Blaga”, XXIX edition, Sebeş-Alba, Romania, 2009.
Flavia was decorated with the Golden Medal and was appointed Honorary Member by the Casa del Poeta Peruano, Lima, Peru, 2010,
for her poetry and her work as an international cultural promoter.
Flavia Cosma is the Director of the International Writers’ and Artists’ Residency, Val-David, Quebec, Canada. www.flaviacosma.com/Val_David.html,
and the Director of the Biannual International Festivals at Val-David.
Flavia is the International Editor at Červená Barva Press, Somerville, MA, USA
Flavia Cosma: http://www.flaviacosma.com Email:
SELECTED WORKS IN ENGLISH:
- POSTCARDS FROM RHODES, a travel memoir, 2010, Variety Crossing Press, Toronto, Canada, ISBN 978-0-9812279-2-4
- MOONLIGHT FAIRY TALES, contes d’enfants, 2009, In Our Own Words Inc. Press, Mississauga, ON, Canada, ISBN 978-0-9809932-8-8
- THUS SPOKE THE SEA, poèmes, 2008, KCLF-21 Press, Toronto, ON, Canada, ISBN 978-0-9782020-6-4. 80 pages.
- THE SEASON OF LOVE, poèmes, 2008, Cervena Barva Press, Somerville, MA, USA, ISBN 978-0-615-20097-2, 89 pages.
- A COUNTRY OF ONE, un E-livre, www.brindin.com 2007,100 pages
- THE ADVENTURES OF TOMMY TEDDY BEAR AND ALEX LITTLE BUNNY, un livre pour enfants, 2007, Korean-Canadian Literary Forum-21 Press, Toronto, ON, Canada, ISBN 0-9782020-1-9
- GOTHIC CALLIGRAPHY, poèmes, 2007, Cervena Barva Press, Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
- LEAVES OF A DIARY, poèmes, 2006, Korean-Canadian Literary Forum-21 Press, Toronto, Canada, ISBN 0-9689561-7-3, 72 pages.
- FATA MORGANA, poèmes, 2003, Edwin Mellen Press, Lewiston, NY, ISBN 0-7734-3482-8, 87 pages.
- WORMWOOD WINE, poèmes, 2004, 2001, Edwin Mellen Press, Lewiston, NY, ISBN 0-7734-3416-X, ISBN 0-7734-3553-0 (hc), 87 pages.
- THE FIRE THAT BURNS US, novel, 1996, Singular Speech Press, Canton, Connecticut, ISBN 1-880286-34-3, 114 pages.
- 47 POEMS, 1992, Texas Tech University Press, ISBN 089672-304-6, ISBN 0-89672-279-1, 99 pages. (Richard Wilburn ALTA Prix pour la traduccion).
- FAIRY TALES de Flavia Cosma, 1990, Canadian Stage and Arts, Toronto, Canada, ISBN 0-919952-48-8, 47 pages.
SELECTED WORKS IN SPANISH:
- PLUMAS DE ANGELES, poemas, 2008, Editorial Dunken, Buenos Aires, Argentina, ISBN 978-978-02-3508-8, 87 pages
- HOJAS DE DIARIO, poemas 2011, Editorial Maribelina, Lima, Peru
- EL BARRIO LATINO, poemas 2012, Editorial Maribelina, Lima, Peru, ISBN 978-9972-685-42-2, 90 pages
SELECTED WORKS IN FRENCH:
- LE MIEL TROUBLE DU MATIN, poèmes, mai 2012, l’Editions L’Harmattan, Paris, France, ISBN 978-2-296-96071-8, 146 pages
SELECTED WORKS ROMANIAN:
- TRUPUL LUNII, poems, ISBN 978-973-148-111-1, Editura Ars Longa, 2012, Iasi, Romania
- PE CĂI DE NIMENI ŞTIUTE, poems, ISBN 978-973-148-074-9, Editura Ars Longa, 2011, Iasi, Romania
- FOCUL CE NE ARDE, roman, ISBN 978-973-148-075-6, Ars Longa Press, 2011, Iasi, Romania
- CARTIERUL LATIN, poems, ISBN 978-973-148-073-2, Ars Longa Press, 2011, Iasi, Romania
- POVEŞTI SUB CLAR DE LUNĂ/ CONTES DE FÉES, contes (édition bilingue Romanian/French), Ars Longa Press, 2009, Iaşi Romania, ISBN 978-973-148-028-2, 151 pages.
- NEANT BINEVOITOR, (BENEVOLENT ABYSS), poèmes de Flavia Cosma, Maison d’édition Semne, 2007, Bucharest, Romania, ISBN 978-973-624-533-6, 103 pages.
- CÂNTECE LA MAREA EGEE, (SONGS AT THE AEGEAN SEA), poèmes de Flavia Cosma, Maison d’édition Ars Longa, 2007, Iaşi, Romania, ISBN 978-973-8912-74-8, 71 pages.
- TEATRU PENTRU COPII MICI ŞI MARI, Maison d’édition Familia 2007, Oradea, Romania, ISBN 978-973-9401-73-9, 58 pages.
- IN BRAŢELE TATĂLUI (IN THE ARMS OF THE FATHER), poèmes, 2006, Maison d’édition Cogito, Oradea România, ISBN 973-8032-52-0, 88 pages.
- RHODOS SAU RHODES SAU RODI, Jurnal Sentimental, (Journal de voyaje), Oct. 2005, Maison d’édition Limes, Cluj, România, ISBN 973-726-093-7, 150 pages.
- JURNAL, poèmes, 2004, Maison d’édition Cogito, Oradea, România, ISBN 973-8032-35-0, 68 pages.
- AMAR DE PRIMĂVARĂ (BITTERNESS OF SPRING), poèmes, 2003, Maison d’édition România Libera, Bucharest, România, ISBN 973-86308-8-6, 83 pages.
- CINĂ CU DEMONI (DINING WITH DEMONS), poèmes, 1999, Maison d’édition Eminescu, Bucharest, România, ISBN 973-22-0759-0, 91 pages.
- PĂSĂRI ŞI ALTE VISE (BIRDS AND OTHER DREAMS), poèmes, 1997, Maison d’édition Eminescu, Bucharest, România, ISBN 973-22-0589-X, 84 pages.
- Citadela, Satu Mare, Romania, Sept. 2007 (Cerul de Lapte, Trei Inimi)
- Variety Crossing Volume 9, Toronto, 2007 (The Word)
- Murmurs of Voices / Murmure des voix / Murmurul Vocilor, Cogito Publishing House, 2007:
(Bilingual Poems by Flavia Cosma: The Oldest of the Old, Nocturnal Silence, Resurrection, If I Could Be..., In the Arms of the Father; also translations by Flavia Cosma of poems by Gloria Mindock, George Elliott Clarke, Dae-Tong Huh)
- A Canadian Anthology of Poetry - Butterfly Thunder, A Beret Days Book, 2007
(Blind Bird and The Moon's Body)
- Verse Afire, Tri-Annual Publication of The Ontario Poetry Society (Leaves of a Diary 18)
- Citadela, Literary Magazine, Satu-Mare, Romania
(Translations by Flavia Cosma of two poems by Gloria Mindock)
- Istanbul Literary Review - September 2007
a. (Poems: Beyond, Lament, Stones-Words, Hazy Twilight, Under the Cover of Time, also, excerpt of: Rhodes or Rhodos or Rodi - Travel memoir by Flavia Cosma)
- Earls Court e-zine (Appointment)
- Poetry Salzburg Review, Nr. 10, Autumn, 2006 (Solitude and Remoteness)
- Unlocking the Muse, Beret Days Press, 2006 (Ask Me)
- CAA Anthology, Nov. 16, 2006 (Manege Aquatic, In The Afternoon, The Rain Descends, The Lesson, Sculpture)
- Poesia, Fayetteville, Arkansas, October 2005 (Night of Autumn, Nocturnal Silence)
- Anthology Amor Olvidado, El Centro de Estudios Poeticos, Madrid, Spain (La Estacion del Amor)
- Canadian Women's Studies, Toronto, Canada, October 2005 (Bullfight)
- UNLOCKING THE MUSE, TOPS, 2005
- ABSINTHE, New European Writing, 2005
- Variety Crossing, Toronto, 2005
- Parameter, Manchester, UK Vol. 1, September, 2005 (Of Late Autumn, Resurrection, Separation)
- Clepsidra cu Marturii, ed. Adam, 2003, Bucuresti, Romania
- Aurora 2003, Oradea, Romania
- Literatura Na Swiecie, 1998, Warszawa, Poland
- KCL Modern Poetry In Translation, 1994-95
- LIPS - International Women Poets 1993, Montclair, NJ, USA
- Poetry East 1990, Depaul University, Chicago, IL, USA
- Canadian Women Studies, York University, Toronto, Canada, 1989
- Liberte, Montreal, Canada, 1988
- League of Canadian Poets
- Writers' Union of Romania
- The Academy of American Poets
- The Writers' Union of Canada
- Pen International - Canada
- British Comparative Literature Association
- Writers and Editors Network, Toronto
Writing, Producing and Directing
- "Romania, A Country At The Crossroads"
Canadian Scene National Award for TV Documentary, 1991
- "Freedom Sweet Dream" A look at post-revolution Romania, 1992
- "The Scott Mission of Toronto, A Miracle on Spadina Avenue", 1995
Writing, Producing and Directing
- "The Legend of the Sunflower", 1970, Children's Radio Drama, Bucharest, Romania
- "The Four Brothers", 1971, Children's Radio Drama, Bucharest, Romania
- "Folk Tales", 1971, Children's Radio Drama, Bucharest, Romania
- "Three Folk Tales", 1980, Sainte Marguerite Bourgeouys Catholic School, Toronto, Ontario
- March 4, 2009 - Noches de Poesia, Montreal
- February 6, 2009 - Laurentian University, Sudbury
- February 27, 2009 - Nellie's Shelter
- December 3, 2007 Poetry Reading - Cooked and Eaten Events, 2007-08 season - Cervantes Restaurant, 211 Hunter St. W. Peterborough, ON 7:30pm
- May 16, 2007, Flavia read at a poetry reading presented by DRAFT
- February 14, 2007 reading and lecturing about poetry at Nellie's Women's Shelter, Toronto
- Author Series - Deer Park Library "Flavia Cosma, a renowned Romanian poet, read from her ninth book of poetry Leaves of a Diary" Wednesday, November 1, 2006
- September 9, 2006: Flavia Cosma read at the Vaughan Poets' Circle
- September 6, 2006 Literary Soiree: Flavia Cosma read from her latest books at the Romanian Association ARTA - Kitchner and Banatul Romanian Cultural Centre (Event sponsored by The Writer's Union of Canada)
- Flavia read at Poetry in Translation, Art Bar, November 22, 2005, Toronto, Ontario
- Launching of Jurnal and Amar de Primavara, December 18, 2005, Waterloo, Ontario
- Launching of Fata Morgana at Coffee Mill, Toronto, 2003
- Launching of Wormwood Wine at the Centre for the East European Studies, University of Toronto, February 2002
- Reading at Carpathian Books Literary Event, Toronto, Jan. 1994
- Visiting Writers Program, Sunny College at Farmingdale, NY December 1992
- Reading Series at the United Nations, New York, June 1991
- Bridging the Waters, an International Festival of Poetry and Writing in Translation, Passaic College, Paterson, New Jersey, March 18, 1989
- 11th Annual Conference of the American Literary Translators Association, New York, October 19-22, 1988
- Reading at Innis College Town Hall, U of Toronto, Nov. 25, 1987
- Une Nuite de Poesie, Semaine Francophone a Toronto, Oct. 1987
- Three Folk Tales by Flavia Cosma, directed by Flavia Cosma, at Blessed Marguerite Bourgeoys Catholic School, May-June 1980
SPEAKING ON HUMAN RIGHTS
- October 27, 2007 Speaking about Human Rights in Multicultural Canada and The Condition of Writers In Exile at the University of Bucharest, Romania
- October 20, 2007 Speaking about Human Rights in Multicultural Canada and The Condition of Writers In Exile at the University of the North, Baia Mare, Romania
- October 18, 2007 Speaking about Human Rights in Multicultural Canada and The Condition of Writers In Exile at the University of Iaşi, Romania
- May 1, 2007, 10:00am - speaking on Human Rights to students at Henry Hudson Public School, Scarborough
- May 8, 2007 "Reality Day" Flavia Cosma spoke about television documentary production at a career day event, at J. Clarke Richardson Collegiate, Ajax, ON
- December 6, 2006, speaking to 100 students at Cornell Jr. Public School, about Human Rights and Refugee Camps.
- April 10, speaking about Human Rights in a Totalitarian State at Banting and Best School, Scarborough, ON, to grade 5 students.
- April 7, reading from "Leaves of a Diary" and speaking about poetry at Leaside High School, to grade 12 and 13 students
- March 7, 2006, speaking of life in a Totalitarian Society to grade 7 and 8 students, at St. Marguerite d'Youville School, Richmond Hill, ON.
- Talking about Refugee Camps in Europe: Jan. 12, 2006, Leaside High School, two separate groups, grade 12 and grade 10/gifted students
- Reflections of Human Rights: Dec. 17, 2005, Dallington Public School, speaking to grade 5 and 6 students
- Flavia was invited to write at the International Writers' and Translators' Centre "Waves of the Three Seas" in the island of Rhodes, from September 16 to October 16, 2007
- Santa Fe Art Institute, July 1 to August 1 2007
- International Writers' and Translators' Centre, Rhodes - March 6 to March 31 2005
- International Writers' and Translators' Centre, Rhodes - June 20 to July 12 2006